Cedar Posts &
Johnson City, TX
Cofran's Texas . . .
Hill Country Portal
A Powerful Information Database & Gateway Service for the Texas Hill Country
City Profile For:
Pronounced: "BLANK-oh, rhymes with plank"
"The Lavender Capital of Texas"
"The Warmest Welcome in the Hill Country"
"Gem of the Hills"
Elevation: 1,329 ftArea: 1.7 smCounty: Blanco
Zip Code: 78606Area Code: 830-833Time Zone: CST
Coordinates: 30° 5' 58" N, 98° 25' 20" W
Location: South-central part of county;
45 mi N of San Antonio, 45 mi W of Austin
Highways: US-281 (Main St), FM-1623, FM-163, RM-32
Creeks: Town, Durham, KochRivers: BlancoLakes: none
Quick Link To: Directory Listings in Blanco
Recurring Events/Meetings in Blanco
- City Of Blanco: 830-833-4525
300 Pecan St, Blanco, TX 78606
Web: www.cityofblanco.com, Email: email@example.com
- Blanco Chamber Of Commerce: 830-833-5101; 312 Pecan St, Blanco, TX 78606. www.blancochamber.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
PRINCIPAL BUSINESS: Ranching, tourism, parks
MAJOR ATTRACTIONS: See full details in Directory below.
- Blanco Historic Town Square: small town charm, the historic courthouse, plus numerous shops and restaurants.
- Lavender Festival & Farms: 830-833-5101; Lavender Capital of Texas. Annual festival. Farm visitation available mid-May-July;
See events below, and Hill Country Lavender.
- Old Blanco County Courthouse: 830-833-2211; First court house of Blanco County, built in 1885, a Texas Historical landmark, open for visitation in downtown Blanco. It survives as an outstanding example of Second Empire style architecture. www.historicblanco.org,
- Blanco Pioneer Museum: 418 Pecan St, in Pat Ryan Building. www.blancopioneer.org. Genealogy and historical exhibits.
- Real Ale Brewing Company: 830-833-2211; Local micro-brewed beer with a rapidly growing popularity. Open tasting room every Friday 2-5p. Tour at 4p. www.realalebrewing.com
- Blanco State Park: 830-833-4333; 101 Park Rd 23, Blanco, TX 78606-4835. See YouTube Video1, Video2, Video3.
See Parks, and TPWD Profile. Located just blocks from the Blanco Square, offers RV sites, camping, swimming and fishing.
- Johnson City: Pedernales Falls State Park; LCRA Pedernales River Nature Park; LBJ National Park
- Bindseil Park: City park just E of Courthouse Square
- Town Creek Nature Trail
- Yett Memorial Park: 1813 US-281 S. Contact Chamber, above
- Apr: Relay For Life: 7p-7a at Blanco HS. 210-415-9591
- May: Rodeo Pro Bull Ride: 7p start, dance 9p, Yett Memorial Park. 512-940-7073. $10
- May: Blanco Classic Car Show: 3rd Sat, 10:30a-3:30p, along the banks of Blanco River in the State Park. 830-833-5348
- May: Annual Real Ale Bike Ride: www.realaleride.com
- Jun: Blanco Lavender Festival: 2nd weekend; at Courthouse Square
- Jun: Lavender Days: All month: www.blancolavenderfest.com; 830-833-5101. Farm tours
- Sep: Heritage Day; Ranch Roundup: last weekend; 830-833-5245, Yett Memorial Park. A day of ranch-style music, entertainment and rodeo
- Oct: Ladies State Chili Championship Of Texas
- Nov: Blanco Western Showcase; Blanco Lavender Lights
- Dec: Christmas Lighting: Fri after Thanksgiving; Christmas Market & Parade: 2nd Sat
- Recurring Meetings & Events Every Month: See Calendar for Blanco
- Blanco Market Day: 3rd Sat, 9a-4p. At Old Blanco Courthouse square on US-281 in downtown, April-Nov plus special December Christmas Market Days event. Arts, crafts, antiques, food, and much more. 830-833-2211. www.historicblanco.org
- Blanco Yett Park Trade Fair: 2nd Sat each month, 9a-4p. Located 2 miles S of town on US-281 S, a 1/4 mile N of RR 32. $25 vending fee. Swap meet, arts & crafts, farmer's market. Admission free. Contact: Chamber above, 830-833-5101
For nearby events see Festivals & Major Events, Trade Days & Farmers Markets, Live Entertainment, and calendars on our other focus topic pages accessible from the menu above.
WEATHER: MEDIA COVERAGE: See full details in Directory below.
- On-Line News: Google News; Topix
- Newspapers: Blanco County News: www.blancocountynews.com
- Radio/TV, Articles:
- Videos: YouTube; Day Tripper 1; Day Tripper 2
ROADS: For detailed listing of county, state and federal roads in Blanco County, including an interactive map, click: Roads
HISTORY: Handbook of Texas Online: "In 1853 pioneer stockmen built cabins along the Blanco River near the present site of the town and prepared to defend themselves against Indian attack. In 1854 the operators of the Pittsburgh Land Company, including Gen. John D. Pitts, A. M. Lindsey, F. W. Chandler, William E. Jones, and Capt. James H. Callahan, purchased the league granted to Horace Eggleston by the government of Coahuila and Texas in 1835. They laid out the town of Pittsburgh, named for General Pitts, across the river from the site of future Blanco. That same year a Methodist church was organized by circuit rider Daniel Rawls. The congregation met in a log cabin built to withstand Indian raids, which also served as a school. The Twin Sisters Masonic Lodge, organized at Curry's Creek perhaps as early as 1856, moved to Pittsburgh around 1857.
When Blanco County was organized in 1858, an election located the county seat across the river from Pittsburgh, and named the townsite Blanco for the Blanco River. The Pittsburgh Land Company gave the new town 120 acres of land. In 1858 a post office was established. Mail service was temporarily discontinued with the beginning of the Civil War, but the citizens raised money to bring mail once a week from New Braunfels in order to receive the war news. The first Baptist church was organized in 1859. In 1860 the first courthouse was built on the public square by A. V. Gates for about $600.
In spite of hardships suffered during the Civil War, the town continued to grow and by 1870 had four stores, a hotel, and a gin. The old union church, built in 1871 at a cost of $1,300, remained for many years the center of town life. It was used as a church by different denominations, as a schoolhouse, and as a community meeting place. In 1874 the Masons drew up a charter for Blanco Masonic University. A foundation was laid, but building was discontinued because of a lack of funds. A new courthouse of native stone was built in 1875 by Frederick E. and Oscar Ruffini, architects. In 1876 a fire destroyed the Masonic lodge, the old courthouse, and all of the county records. The same year the residents of Johnson City made their first attempt to have the county seat relocated by petitioning for an election. They were unsuccessful. In 1884 the citizens of Blanco formed a joint stock company to raise the capital necessary to establish a high school. They elected a board of directors and a president and applied for a charter for Blanco High School under the Private Corporations Act. A two-story building was built on the foundation of the Masonic university. It opened in October 1884, and the first class graduated in 1887. In 1890 Johnson City won a county seat election, and Blanco lost its position as county seat; the courthouse records were moved to Johnson City in 1891. The rivalry between the two towns that began with this election is still hot.
Blanco has primarily been a ranch and farm trade center. It had a population of 469 in 1904 and 1,100 by 1939, when the town was incorporated. By 1946 the town had forty businesses, a hospital, and a weekly newspaper, the Blanco County News. The population dropped in the 1940s to 453 before increasing again in the 1950s. In 1980 the census reported 1,179 residents in Blanco. There were forty-six businesses. In 1990 the population was 1,238, and in 2000 it grew to 1,505. Christ of the Hills Orthodox Monastery is nearby."
History of the Old Blanco Courthouse and of the Blanco Area: www.historicblanco.org, and the Portal profile for: Blanco County
History of the Blanco Masonic Lodge #216
Blanco named for the Blanco River. Blanco means "white" in Spanish.
PRIOR CITY NAMES:
HISTORICAL MARKERS: See Texas Historical Commission's Historic Sites Atlas: http://atlas.thc.state.tx.us. Includes interactive map plus detailed descriptions of historical markers, cemeteries, museums, all searchable by county.
Blanco State Park
CEMETERIES: See THC Historic Sites Atlas above.
- Blanco City Cemetery: Lat-Long (30° 05.615' N 98° 25.038' W); On FM Loop 163 (intersecting RR-165), just E of town, on R (S); est 1856; 2611 graves; historical marker.
- McKinney Cemetery: Lat-Long (30° 06.950' N 98° 29.003' W); 2.1 miles N of town at 2711 McKinney Loop, on L (W) side of road adjacent to road and easily seen. 101 grves
- Contact: Gail Moore McClellan, President, Blanco Cemetery Association: POB 640, Blanco, TX, 78606, 830-833-4229, email@example.com
OTHER PROFILES: City Data; ePodunk; Texas Escapes; Travel Texas; Wikipedia
We welcome inquiries, comments and submission of updates, additions, corrections & digital photos,
without compensation. Send to Editor at:
BUSINESS & ORGANIZATION DIRECTORY
Click: Blanco Detailed Listings.
SANDY ROAD GUEST HAUS:
Upscale Western-style Guest House Lodging
in a Beautiful Ranch Setting in the Gorgeous Texas Hill Country
Reservations & Information: 281-300-7177
9242 RR 1320 (Sandy Road), Johnson City, TX 78636
Web: www.SandyRoadGuestHaus.com Email: info@SandyRoadGuestHaus.com
Come Relax & Enjoy!
Click for Hill Country:
» FESTIVALS/MAJOR EVENTS
» LIVE ENTERTAINMENT
Affordable Pre-paid Emergency Air Transport Service
Click image for details
Protection starts at $65/yr
Vallone Real Estate
Serving Blanco &
FOR SALE >> SOLD !
Texas Hill Country
For sale by owner